Picasso and a good cause – an inspiring bead challenge

Standard

ABS July Challenge – final bracelet

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my intent to submit a project to Art Beads Scene’s July Bead Challenge and donate it to 7000 Bracelets for Hope. I had ordered a number of art beads just for this project and I was crossing my fingers that they would arrive in time.

Well, a package of beads arrived in the mail almost every day last week. It was like Christmas!. The beads looked even better than in the photos on Etsy.

I had a design in mind, inspired by Picasso’s Two Harlequins and a Dog. I wanted to use colour and texture to invoke the painting, which has a lot of complexity.

I started by making a wire-wrapped fabric link, embellished with shiny blue seed beads, using a piece of variegated blue ribbon from  – JodyPoesy.

Wire-wrapped ribbon decorated with seed beads

In my original design, the fabric/ribbon section would attach directly to a beaded section, anchored by 6 wonderful blue matte ceramic beads from NKPBeads. But when I started stringing the beads, I realized that even combined with the fabric link, the bracelet would barely go around my wrist, which is quite small. Plus, there was the issue what to for a clasp and the fact that the beaded section would be much heavier than the fabric link.

So I added a small piece of copper chain to the bracelet. I solved the problem of a closure by wiring a lobster clasp on one end of the beaded fabric section and hooking it to the chain.

I spent a fair amount of time playing with arrangements of beads for the beaded section. I finally settled on 4 of the blue ceramic rounds – not only do they have a cool texture but the colour is mottled, making them even more interesting. I added an orange and a light blue enamel round from Gardanne Beads and a sandy beige ceramic bead from Gaea. The Gaea  bead isn’t uniformly round and like the blue matte beads, it also has a mottled look. To finish it off, I added the little round pewter face charm made by Green Girl Studios (via the Bead Lady).

Close-up of bead section of bracelet

The end product is very different from the idea I started out with. But I am happy with the end result. It was an interesting process – I just kept experimenting with beads and components until I had design that worked. It is a little big for my wrist, but I did try it on and it seems very wearable.

Wearing the bracelet – photographed by M

Having met the deadline for the July Art Bead challenge, I will now wrap it up and send it off to 7000 Bracelets for Hope.

I have linked up to the following: Craft Envy – Saturday Spotlight; Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes ; Monday Link Party at Craft-O-Maniac; Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple; Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. ; Made by You Mondays at Skip to My Lou ; Get Your Craft on Tuesday at Today’s Creative Blog; Take-a-Look Tuesdays at Sugar Bee Crafts; Wednesday Wowzers at oopsy daisy; Flaunt It Fridays at Dotted Line Crafts; The Cure for the Common Monday at Lines Across My FaceSix Sisters Stuff – Strut Your Stuff Saturday

Advertisements

5 responses »

  1. I love it when the original idea gets kidnapped by something even better and more interesting, don’t you? Those “blueberry” NKP beads are gorgeous. Love the way you made everything work so well together!

  2. Oh what a great eye you have! Those blue ceramic beads are just the perfect soft blue I love them, I could eat them – ok maybe not. But I think they are set off nicely too, great work

  3. Pingback: Autumn Finger Paints | merlinspielen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s